Tips for choosing the Right Safari
Safaris are a holiday that most people want to experience once in their lives. There are several things to think about before deciding on where and when you go on safari and the following are some of the questions to ask:
- Choose your destination with care. You will be very disappointed if your favorite animal is a rarity in the country that you choose.
- Check the right time of the year to go. Parts of Africa have heavy rain making getting around very difficult.
- Choose a conservancy for an exclusive experience with wildlife and not fight for position with tour buses for a glimpse of a beleaguered animal. Many of the eco lodges have the benefit of being right in the bush with the wildlife passing right in front of your tent.
- Stay longer in each destination for a fuller experience of that Park or Conservancy.
- If you can afford it, fly between parks and camps. This particularly applies when the alternative could see you spending 6-8 hours on the road.
- Choose accommodation that offers the authentic African experience with the wildlife and local people at the heart of its being.
- Pick the right time of the year to see the migrations – animals, birds and whales. There is no guarantee with wildlife but there are norms.
- Pack with the right safari clothes and do not pack too much. Many lodges and camps offer laundry facilities.
- Read up about your chosen destination and ask someone who knows the area well for advise re the above.
That is all there is to it!